Tuesday, February 23, 2010

St. Paul's Cathedral

St. Paul's Cathedral was the first Anglican Church built in England. It stands out in every way and is in my opinion Christopher Wren's most amazing creation. It's crypts hold artists and vetrans alike. The two biggest tombs being for the Duke of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, and Nelson, who won the Battle of Trafalgar against Napoleon's forces.

Above the crypt is the most amazing dome. The main part of the dome is painted black and white with 8 pictures of the life of St. Paul, below that are golden mosaics 4 new Testamate Saints and 4 Old Testamate Profits. and below that on the inner alcoves are more golden mosaics of Jesus and his life. 280 feet from the ground floor is the top most gallery. It takes 530 steps to reach this gallery and see London from this perch. These aren't nice easy steps either, most of them are spiral, and if not, then they are very narrowly shoved into rock where you have to squeeze through to have the privilege of walking these 530 steps.

The View you get from the Golden gallery is worth every panting breath it took to get up there. I don't know if Christopher Wren knew if he was building the Perch of London, when he built the Dome. I have a feeling he was more concerned with what the dome looked like from the ground than what people could see from it

After I spent over four hours there, I found myself a pub, and finally had the Fish and Chips I've wanted since before I got to London... and Damn was it good.



1 comment:

  1. Loved this! I've quoted part of this post to share with my readers, here's a link: http://www.landingpadlondon.com/st-pauls-cathedral/

    I'm an architectural historian and am starting a new site about London. If you'd like to contribute posts to our site, get a little more, well-deserved attention, just get in touch (via my blog or website). I'm really enjoying your posts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete