Saturday, January 30, 2010

Markets and Mile End Park

Last Sunday and This Saturday I ventured to two different markets near where I live. Last Sunday was spent at the beautiful and well known, Brick lane, and then on Saturday to the Roman Road Market, both of which are within walking distance of my campus. Both markets are a mixture between swapmeet and a farmers markets.

Brick Lane is a long street in the middle of Bangletown. I was able to get a few scarves, gloves, freshly made crapes with bananas and Nutella, and got my picture taken professionally for a five pound donation to Haiti. There was art, there were movies and music, and hundreds of people.

Roman Road is a lot like Brick Lane, except that it was smaller, and had more clothes than food or swap-meet things. I was able to get some nice gladiator sandals and a cute new top for less than fifteen pounds. But the best part of Roman road was the walk there and back. I walked along the canal that is next to my campus and through Mile End park, past green hills, semi clear water, and people. The park that was covered with snow the first three weeks I was here, is now full of color and life. The canal is lined by small boathouses tied to the sides.

I took some pictures, and even got to write in a little cafe, sipping coffee (which is so much more biter here then it is at home) and eating a danish. Not to mention, the Sun decided to show itself after a day of rain and then snow, giving me a gorgeous view out my window of the buildings down at Canary wharf. Overall, a good day.


Mile End Park, next to Queen Mary



























Brick Lane sign in another language and some art.

No comments:

Post a Comment